?Our food distribution business is dedicated to supporting independent grocers as they navigate the competitive landscape. To be a strong fit for this opportunity, you will need:
- At least 4 years of combined experience in retail and/or wholesale meat sales, merchandising, buying, and retail management.
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably in Business Administration or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- To complete Action Selling™ certification within six (6) months of hire.
- Experience in a grocery, retail or wholesale environment is preferred.
- Solid computer skills including proficiency in MS Office Suite applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and listening abilities, including the ability to hear and understand each customer's needs.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to network effectively.
- The ability to present new ideas in a persuasive manner.
- Strong financial acumen, analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to evaluate possible outcomes.
- Working knowledge of products, services and industry trends and the drive to remain current.
- A positive, can-do attitude and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
The RoleReporting to the Regional Director Perishables, as a Sales Specialist, Meats you will represent Nash Finch by developing close, positive and effective relationships with our current customers as well as cultivating prospective new business. You’ll act as a consultative partner to independent grocers and provide effective solutions, guidance, strategies, retailer programs, and tools to foster success in their business and Nash Finch. As an expert in the meat industry, you’ll provide assistance with merchandising, category management, pricing, department layout, financial analysis, troubleshooting, and more.
?Specifically, you will:
- Leverage your knowledge and understanding of all Nash Finch meat products and programs to effectively sell them to existing customers.
- Partner with the Retail Sales team to inform retailers of special buys, newly introduced products and seasonal trends or deals.
- Assist in developing and closing new business.
- Generate new business through cold calling and telemarketing, as needed.
- Develop positive, lasting customer relationships that enhance trust in Nash Finch, improve customer loyalty and longevity, and ensure quick and effective communication and problem resolution.
- Increase sales by speeding up new item introduction, ensuring maximum product penetration, growing quarterly perishable sales, capitalizing on marketing trends, selling and utilizing merchandising and marketing programs, and assisting retailers in the planning and execution of special events and seasonal programs.
- Ensure retailers understand all the services Nash Finch provides, especially its ability to deliver quality fresh meat products to our customers.
- Measure the success or failure of business-building initiatives and identify opportunity gaps that can be corrected as needed to ensure and support growth.
- Leverage your expertise to support customers on operational and merchandising issues and recommend solutions.
- Present new ideas to upper management to increase sales.
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Why Nash FinchExciting new initiative -- Nash Finch recently underwent an organizational assessment to evaluate how we drive sales, gain new business, provide service and work to build and maintain long-lasting relationships with our customers. Based upon the results, we are implementing an exciting new initiative to change our sales structure in order to better support our customers with strategic plans for growth. We are aligning our sales teams around the needs of the customers, rather than distribution locations. In our new model, sales associates will solely focus on their current and prospective customers, learning and understanding their needs and goals, building relationships, delivering top quality products, services and solutions and more. If you want a sales career where you can be a partner in success, this is a prime opportunity.
Great time to join -- there is an energy and excitement in the air. You’ll enjoy the entrepreneurial drive of a new initiative, built on the foundation of a successful company with 128 years in business. It’s an opportunity to be a key player on a newly focused team.
Pride and satisfaction -- independent retailers face challenges on multiple fronts. You're not just selling; you're providing support and assistance that will help your customers improve their service and bottom line. You can feel good knowing that your efforts are having a direct impact on your customers' success.
Scientifically supported approach – based upon the data, our new approach will better align us with the customers we serve, create efficiencies, strengthen accountability and streamline decision making. It’s a win-win for NFC and our customers.
Military distribution --? MDV is NFC’s military business which exists to serve American troops and their families, at home and abroad. MDV offers popular grocery products so military commissaries and exchanges can deliver a familiar shopping experience to military personnel, regardless of where they are stationed. Core to our values, Nash Finch will continue to support military personnel and their families. We encourage qualified veterans to apply for this or other NFC openings.
Compensation and benefits -- in addition to a competitive salary, we offer a comprehensive benefits package including insurances, a 401(k), PTO and much more.?
Keys to SuccessTo be successful in this role you will need to earn the respect of your customers by demonstrating your knowledge and talent. This is a "specialist" role and that's what these retailers are looking for. You can't fake it. You'll have to have ideas and be equally comfortable talking about meat, displays, P&L or anything else that can impact the department. We already said it, but it's important enough that it's worth repeating here. You will be selling, but this is not a hard, transactional sell. You'll be a consultative partner building long-term relationships, caring about the success of your customers and supporting their business growth.
We're a company who cares about people and values team work. While you will be solely responsible for your area of specialty, you'll also be part of the larger team. As such, you'll work in tandem with your peers to provide the best possible customer experience.
About Nash FinchOriginally established in 1885 and incorporated in 1921, Nash Finch Company, headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, is the second largest publicly traded wholesale food distributor in the United States, in terms of revenue, serving the retail grocery industry and the military commissary and exchange systems. Annual sales are approximately $5.0 billion.
The Company distributes food products and provides support services to a variety of retail formats including conventional supermarkets, military commissaries, multicultural stores and extreme value stores.
Nash Finch Company's core business, food distribution, serves independent retailers and military commissaries in 36 states, the District of Columbia, Europe, Cuba, Puerto Rico, the Azores and Egypt.
Pictured: Nash Finch headquarters.